SCHOOL EMBLEMMSHS Logo Current as at Sept2011

The school emblem is a represenation of the Manjimup district. The black swan draws from our West Australian origins, the M representing Manjimup, the Crowea flower illustrating our local flora, the Karri trees a link to our town's timber and tourism industries within the Southern Forests region, and the plough a symbol of recognition of not only the regions agricultural roots, but also the dedication of the school to the continued development of the agricultural industry through our education programs.

Finally, the open book and our school motto 'Aim High' embody our commitment to learning and encouraging students to always endeavour to do their best and strive to achieve their highest personal goals.

SCHOOL HISTORY

In 1911, two years after the first major subdivision of town lots, Manjimup's first school opened in Rose Street with 19 pupils under Mrs Randall. Due to increased population, a primary school was opened in 1931 and in 1944 this became a Junior High School.

MSHS 1987 originalDuring the 1950?s the town?s population grew so rapidly it was decided a separate high school was needed. The present site, originally a training centre for tobacco growers, was acquired and building began. In 1957 the school opened with students from first to third year (Years 8-10). In 1958, the completed building, costing $118,000, was officially opened as Manjimup Senior High School with 239 students and 14 staff.

The school site was 18 hectares between Rutherford Street and Graphite Road and later, and additional 18 hectares of land on the north side of Graphite Road was purchased by the Education Department for use as a farming project.

Student numbers grew steadily and in February 1969 considerable extensions including a science laboratory and business studies rooms were opened. At this time, the school catered for 563 with 34 staff.  Manjimup Senior High School was one of the pilot schools in the introduction of the Achievement Certificate.

            MANJIMUP SHS 1987

The new library was completed in 1975 and the pre-vocational centre in 1977-78.  The town swimming pool was opened in 1975 on a site transferred from the Education Department to the Shire of Manjimup.

In 1982, after many years of P & C pressure and fund raising, the Education Department approved and agreed to provide most of the funds for the $260,000 gymnasium, with contributions from the Shire and P & C. 

In 1983 the caretaker?s house became available as an additional teaching area. The first phase of a major upgrade of staff and student accommodation was provided for in the 1984 state budget and completed in 1986. The Deputy Principals? offices were relocated and a new media/drama room, a computing room, workshop and maths office were added. With the farm area, football oval, hockey and soccer fields, tennis courts and spacious garden area adjacent to the school buildings there is ample room for expansion.

MSHS 2014 arial

In 1997, Stage One of a new building programme was completed. As part of the programme the school established a new Technology and Enterprise Centre, refurbished the old Manual Arts area into classrooms, and built a Science Preparation and Staff Studies area. Stage Two was completed in 2000, this included the redevelopment of the administration area, completion of the staff offices and building the Food and Technology and Arts facilities. One science laboratory was refurbished in 2000 and another in 2002. The east quadrangle was redeveloped in 2002 and the centre quadrangle was upgraded in 2003.  A three bay shed was constructed on the school farm in 2004 to house machinery and resources. Fundraising by the P&C Association enabled the construction of a gymnasium extension with parents, staff and students providing the labour to reduce the costs. This addition provided another indoor activity area, a new classroom and extensions to the staff office.

MANJIMUP SHS 2014                

The library was extended and refurbished in 2005 and the High School section of the Education Support Centre had an extension and upgrade to their facilities the same year. In 2006 the canteen kitchen was extended and upgraded with funding from the P&C Association and the Federal Government 'Investing in our Schools' program.

In 2011 Manjimup Senior High School commenced training in the Commonwealth Government funded $5.5 million Trade Training Centre. The Trade Training Centre enables Certificate qualifications to be delivered in furniture manufacture, motor mechanics and metal fabrication.  The 2012 school year commenced with Science being taught in three new laboratories as a result of an extensive modernisation upgrade, with funding from the State Government.

Monday the 25th.